Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Winter Storm Jonas

It was a warm opening, but the winter finally made it to New York. A year after winter storm Juno, winter storm Jonas hit the city. It started snowing on Friday night and on Saturday morning I woke up and found a city in white. Snowflakes were dancing outside the window and my phone was buzzing with a severe weather alert. Listening to the news, I heard the mayor asking the citizens not to leave their houses. I did as expected, I took my coat and went out.

Outside, the wind carried the snow in every possible direction. Nature was taking over the concrete town and transforming the city into Winter Wonderland. The red stairs, yellow cabs and green subway stations were all covered in snow. Even the snow fighting trucks, that plowed and salted the city roadways, couldn't overcome the overwhelming amount of snow flakes that landed from the sky. After a while, I could no longer tell the difference between roads and sidewalks.

The visibility was low and the wind was brutal, but cars still roam the streets. Every now and then one of the cars got stuck in the snow, but there always was someone nearby to push it back to the road. Everywhere I looked people were helping each other to cross the streets, get up after falling or giving a steady hand when needed. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

I was heading towards Times Square. Usually, I do my very best to avoid it, but this time the temptation was just too strong. You should always expect the unexpected at Times Square and sure enough, moments after I arrived, I saw a skier, elegantly skiing his way through the square, as if it was a part of his daily routine.
To me, there aren't many things that can top that, so I left Times Square towards Bryant Park. At the park, the fountain was frozen as usual and around it I saw dozens of park employees. They were trying, unsuccessfully, to keep the snow away, but even the huge salt mountains they piled up couldn't fight the pouring snow.
That day nature won over the city. Jonas blizzard covered New York City with 26.8 inches of snow, just 0.1 inches away from the all-time record of the 2006 blizzard. During the storm, New York City has plowed 7.25 million tons of snow, enough to fill the Empire State Building 24 times. Later that night, when the storm was over, I went out again to see the aftermath of the storm. I learned that the same snow that freezes the streets can also melt our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment