Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Let It Snow

I have been waiting for snow for a long time, ever since I realized that last year I missed some great photo opportunities during last year's storm. Luckily for me I was in the city today when the snow showers started. I probably should also mention that the temperature dropped to -7 degrees Celsius / 19 degrees Fahrenheit. It was cold out there!
Ice skating today was a very good choice as both the rink in Bryant Park as well as the rink in Rockefeller Center were almost empty from skaters. It seems that most of the tourists left the city after the celebrations of New Year's eve. I really wanted to do some street photography, but, as always, I found myself in Central Park.
I love watching the male Northern Cardinal, their beautiful red color overwhelm me every time I see them. During the snow showers, the contrast between the white snow and the red feathers of the cardinal was absolutely stunning.
I started my day with colors and I finish it with black and white. I find that all the colors of people, cars and signs in the park are distracting from the beauty of the snow dancing with the trees in the park.
  Night photography will be up next.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous snow scenes. Love the cardinal. Look like large areas of whites on a few are blown out or am I not seeing it correctly? I am still, recuperating from bronchitis and can't travel too far or 2 long. Did my B&W images in half an hour. rest of the day to publish https://port4u.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/snow-and-geometry-in-black-and-white/ .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! I love your cardinal photo as well :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos...I just fell in love with winter again :)

    ReplyDelete