Thursday, January 8, 2015

Matthew is Looking for a Loving Home


I moved to New York about a year ago. I left everything I had back in Israel and I also left my two dogs with my family. This was a very big change for me and leaving the dogs behind was devastating. Adopting a new pet in the city wasn't an option as my husband and I have a very small apartment and also because we spend most of our time traveling. So instead of adopting I became a foster parent for the ASPCA and I got Yago and Ysmine, two adorable, underweight kittens. When it was time to take the kittens back to the ASPCA there was no doubt in my mind that they will find a loving home. A month later, in December 2014, I got an email  saying: "Matthew  needs a vacation... Matthew is an approximately 4 year old boy in need of holiday vacation from shelter life! He will need a quite home with no other cats and no small children.... He had been surrendered to us by his owner in January 2014...".
Immediately I send back an email stating that I'll be happy to take care of Matthew for a few months. After a few back and forward emails I went to the ASPCA to meet Matthew. I was not happy the first time I saw him; he was a huge, grumpy, mean looking cat. The behaviorist consultant took him out of his cage and he just set on the floor and tried to hit her with his huge paws whenever she tried to approach him. His paws were enormous and I quickly found out that Matthew is a polydactyl cat (also known as Hemingway cat). He has a total of 24 toes (normal cats have 18), with 7 toes on each front paw and 5 tows on each hind paw. After seeing his frown look and aggressive behavior I was wounding if it was a good decision to take him inside my small studio and I thought to myself: "no wounder nobody adopted him".
Nonetheless, I took him and brought him home. At first I didn't attempt any contact with him and I just let him explore the studio. He was very curios and he inspected everything! Every time I opened a door he would sneak in and sniff around. It took him less than a few hours to get comfortable and to start showing affection toward me. By now he is with us for almost a month and he is the sweetest kitty; very talkative, playful and affectionate. Sometimes he still plays rough and he tries to bite or hit with his paws but he is doing it very gently, without really hurting anyone. 
When I get back home he will run to me and like a dog, he will stand on his two hind legs and place his front legs on me. He loves his scratching board and occasionally he will start running and jumping in the house which is always funny to watch. Matthew will stay with me until the end of February 2015 and I hope I can find him a loving home prior to that date. If you are looking for a funny, loving, joyful cat, look no further! Matthew is a very easy going cat and he is much less destructive than the average kitten. Among his hobbies: laying in front of the keyboard and trying to hit my fingers while I'm typing :-)
If you think you can help Matthew in finding a loving home, please contact me or the ASPCA....
Update: Today, March 19, 2015, I have returned Matthew to the ASPCA. I really hope he will get adopted soon.
If you are thinking about adopting Matthew here are a few helpful tips:
1. Matthew doesn't like to eat his wet food so if you want him to eat that you should mix it with his dry food.
2. Matthew is a very cleaver cat. He quickly learned to use his new "cleaver cat litter box". Also, he is not picky about his litter. He was fine with shavings, crystal and the ultra premium clumping cat litter.
3. Matthew is a very curious cat. He will go through any door to examine the new space. He really enjoyed walking in our hallway, so everyday we took him for a stroll outside the apartment. He also enjoyed sniffing our neighbors' dogs from behind the door and make them go crazy knowing he is on the other side. 
4. If he want's to play with you he will approach you and gently touch you with his paws.
5. 1. Matthew loves his scratching board. He really enjoys scratching and he got more nails than the average cat. You should defend your couch by covering it.
6. Matthew doesn't like the vacuum cleaner. He will hide on a high bench whenever he sees it. 
7. If you hold a toy in your hand and want to play with Matthew make sure you remember that he will aim for your hand and not for the toy. 
8. Matthew loves to play with simple hair bands, he is usually most active and playful during midnight.   
9. If Matthew wants to get some food or get out for a stroll he will, respectively, direct you to his food bowl or the door and meow at your general direction.
10. When you walk back home after been away for a while that is when he will be the nicest to you.  
11. Often, Matthew will try to hunt you down. He will do it by stalking you and surprisingly jumping on your legs. A simple loud "NO" will immediately stop him. Having said that, I wouldn't trust him around small children.  

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment