Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dance Parade

Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
This year the Dance Parade was awesome! Especially since I got a press pass and I could walk alongside the dancers. Once again, I had a hard time choosing between two lenses: the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Canon EF 300mm f/4L. It was a lot easier to take the photos with the Sigma but soon after the parade started I switched to Canon.  
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
Before the parade started I had some great opportunities to photograph the preparations: practicing, assembling gear and resting. The huge frog vehicle was a must for me. It came inside a yellow truck and they needed almost ten men to carry it out from there. The place was surrounded with some more interesting looking vehicles: a wolf like bike, two giants ponies, a purple bus and a furry little green car.
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
The scene was very colorful and festive, As soon as the ribbon cutting ceremony was over, the parade started marching on Broadway and 21st. I caught this cute girl popping her head out from the bus's window and went to look for my favorite act.
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
During the preparations I saw a Japanese act of two girls covered with the cherry blossom, hanging out with a golden man. They were fantastic and I immediately declared them as my favorites. Although I have been twice to the Sakura Matsuri festival I have never seen anything like it before.
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
Another one of my favorites was a pink-haired girl riding on a gigantic "My Little Pony". The pony was so big that I had a hard time capturing all of it. Finally, I snapped a photo with my cellphone.
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade
As for real animals, at the beginning of the parade, I saw Oswaldo Gomez, also known as Ms. Colombia, with her African grey parrot named Rosita. Also, I saw two dogs walking in the parade, one of them was a Chihuahua named "Little One". I was told that Little One never missed a dance parade in the city.
Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, dog, Dance, Parade
The parade was fun as well as exhausting. By the end of it I could barely walk let alone carry my 300mm lens. I packed everything, took the city bike and headed to recharge myself at Shake Shack. See you all at the next Dance Parade :) Dance Parade, 2015, New York, Broadway, Manhattan, Dance, Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment