Monday, January 26, 2015

Winter Storm Juno


Wow! Never in my life have I seen so much snow. The snow showers started early this morning, but at that point it was just another snowy day in the city. Late afternoon, when I went out, it was absolutely spectacular. Everything was covered in white; cars, bikes, mail boxes, garbage bags, people jackets, umbrellas and hair. Even the tons of salt sprinkled on the roads and sidewalks were not able to fight the snow. I was walking on ice blocks and occasionally my boots sank into huge piles of snow. Yes, it was pure fun!
After walking on the 8th avenue for less than a minute, I was promptly covered with snow. There was a pile of snow on my backpack, another one in my hair and some fair amount on my boots. Also, my camera changed its color from black to bright white. I firmly resisted the cold as well as my parents panic messages from Israel, telling me to take a cab or at least the subway. 
I was filled with Adrenalin, so the cold didn't bother me. Surprisingly, although the city is in the middle of one of its biggest storms ever, the people I met on the streets were cooperative and were kind enough to avoid blocking my view and even pose for me. It seems that the snow is making people happy. Or maybe because I'm happy, people are smiling back?
I love the fact that the light reflecting from the snow makes the pictures look warm and welcoming. To me, the colors in this post match the feelings I had while strolling the streets. When I first came to New York I felt that this city is cold and hostile. I could not be more wrong and I'm happy I can now see kindness and warmness on every corner of this amazing city.   

No comments:

Post a Comment